MRI Appointment Instructions
If you have questions or need to reschedule your appointment, please call us at 240.313.9700 option 3 to speak with one of our scheduling representatives.
- Claustrophobic: Contact your ordering provider to discuss medication or recommendations.
- Allergies: If allergic to gadolinium please contact us immediately for further instructions.
- Pregnant/May be pregnant: Contact your ordering provider and follow their recommendations.
- Children: Please do not bring children with you unless they are the patient. Adult patients if you must bring children another adult MUST be present to supervise.
Instructions for Appointment
- Remove all jewelry and ALL piercings (e.g., necklaces, pins, rings, earrings)
- Remove all hair pins, bobby pins, barrettes, clips, etc.
- Remove all dentures and partial dental plates.
- Remove eyeglasses and hearing aids.
- Remove watches, cell phones and pagers.
- Remove all cards with magnetic strips (e.g., credit cards, bank cards, etc.)
- Because some clothing may contain metal even when not apparent, the MR technologist may instruct you to remove all clothing and worn/removable items from your body. MR safe gown/robe will be provided to you to wear during your MRI Scan. This is being done to help ensure your safety during the examination.
- If you have disc with outside imaging studies related to this exam, please bring the disc with you to appointment.
- Bring implant cards if available.
- If you are unable to remove any of the above items please notify technologist.
Special Study Preps
Abdomen/Pelvis, MRI Enterography or MRI MRCP – Do NOT eat or drink anything 6 hours prior to MRI. You may take medications with a small sip of water, if tolerated on empty stomach.
Pelvic MRI to Evaluate for Rectal Cancer – Nothing to eat or drink after midnight. MUST follow the special instructions given at time of scheduling. For questions call 240.313.9700 option 3.
If you do not follow the special prep the appointment may need to be rescheduled.