The week before your examination:
- Avoid alcohol, food or fruit that contains seeds (squash, cucumbers, pickles, sesame seeds, popcorn, nuts).
- Pick up Tagitol from DIS at least two days prior to exam.
The day before the examination:
- Begin a clear liquid diet. No milk, milk products or solid food. Examples of “clear liquids”: broth, black coffee, tea, water, ice, soft drinks, apple juice, white grape juice, crystal light drink mixes, Jell-O and popsicles.
- At 8:00 a.m. Drink one 20ml bottle of Tagitol.
- At 12:00 p.m. Drink one 20 ml bottle of Tagitol.
- At 1:00 p.m. Drink a 10 ounce bottle of citrate of magnesia (this is available without prescription at your pharmacy) and take four tablets of Dulcolax by mouth.
- At 5:00 p.m. Drink a 10 ounce bottle of citrate of magnesia, drink one bottle of Tagitol.
Nothing to eat after midnight the night before your exam date. You may drink water. On the morning of your examination:
- Take any medications that you can not safely miss or delay one dose with water. No chewing gum, breath mints, lifesaver or hard candy.
Unaccompanied children: Please do not bring children with you unless they are the patient scheduled for the exam. If adult patients must bring children with them, we do ask that another adult be present to supervise.
If you have any questions, you may reach us at 301.714.4200.